Donnerstag, 30. August 2007


"The mi...


"The mind ought sometimes to be diverted, so that it may return the better to thinking." —Plato I'm compiling a list of books to read, maybe 10-20 books, and I'm aiming to finish most of them by January 1st. I'm posting so you guys can add books you've read (and liked, I hope) so I can add, remove or modify my list. I'm reading those right now:The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael ChabonThe Dharma Bums, Jack KerouacThe Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser My partial list of books to read is:The Sun Also Rises, HemingwaySlaughterhouse Five, VonnegutLolita, NabokovAll Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria RemarqueCandide, VoltaireThings Fall Apart, Chinua AchebeA Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, David EggersI'm pursuing a possible minor in Philosophy (to go with my English major), and I don't think Gallaudet's teaching principles are adequate, so I'm throwing in some philosophically oriented works too: The History of Sexuality, Michel FoucaultUnpopular Essays, Bertrand RussellAlso, I'm looking to read some plays so I can learn how to write one. What's on my list is: The Misanthrope, MolièreWaiting for Godot, Samuel BecketThe Glass Menagerie, Tennessee WilliamsLysistrata, AristophanesI'm fond of Kundera, Camus and anything that discusses the changing attitudes of the time. I'm also interested in feminist literature, as well as books that were historical flashpoints (Think Hitler's Mein Kampf, or Darwin's Origin of the Species.)Please add if you want to. Thanks, and have fun!

8 Kommentare:

price0fpassion3554 hat gesagt…

Add these to your list of plays;End Game - Samuel BeckettNo Exit - SartreOedipus Rex/Antigonne - SophoclesThat's all I can think of for now.

twentytwoohhone194 hat gesagt…

"Anti-Intellectualism in American Life" by Richard Hofstader (sp?)"The Idiot" by Feodor Doyvestosky(I read the first years ago, and I still recommend it to people if they ask me about a book to read; the last one I read not too long ago, and it's pretty damn good.)

bellexinakaryahoocom hat gesagt…

_Immortality_ Milan Kundera _Anna Karenina_ Leo Tolstoy_the Satanic Verses_ Salman Rushdie _Corregidora_ Gayl Jones_Song of Solomon_ Toni Morrison_Woman at Point Zero_ Nawal el Saadawi_Woman Warrior_ Maxine Hong Kingston

rebpawaeducadores93 hat gesagt…

Hey, found your journal through Jon's. Hope you don't mind me reading your livejournal since I know we weren't exactly friendly at Gally. Anyway, I'd recommend the Oedipus trilogy as well as another Tennessee Williams play, The Crucible. The Crucible's an easy, fast read but interesting in it's historical aspects. For diversity, I also recommend Ha Jin's books, particularly "Leaving." Happy reading :-)

twhntytwooheone91 hat gesagt…

No prob. Wasn't The Crucible a Henry Miller play?

sadiethegoat hat gesagt…

*hits head on desk*Yes it's a Miller play. For some reason I always mix up the two. And it's not "Leaving." It's "Waiting." Happy reading :-)

stefonascargatte hat gesagt…

*Grins* Okay. I'll check them out. I think I read The Crucible before, though.Is hitting heads on desks an authentic midwestern thing? :D

erjbeta hat gesagt…

Don't look at me on that one. I became infected with that from Jon!